I Live Simply Movement
We are looking for partners to design the #ilivesimply movement in collaboration with organisations with expertise and individuals with passion to reach out to the people of the world.
Students of Ladakh came together to launch the #ilivesimply movement on the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatama Gandhi.
“LIVE SIMPLY SO THAT OTHERS MAY SIMPLY LIVE.”
– MK Gandhi
An innovative appeal for behaviour change… to live simply in big cities of the world so that we in the mountains can simply live.
We in Ladakh Himalayas are at the forefront of the impacts of climate change. A team and students at our alternative school SECMOL (Students’ Educational & Cultural Movement of Ladakh) and HIAL (Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh) in Ladakh have been instrumental in innovative measures towards climate change adaptations in the mountains. These have ranged from Ice Stupa artificial glaciers to low water consuming farming techniques to solar heated mud buildings and much more.But, we find that these measures will get us nowhere as long as the people in big cities of the world continue their business as usual.
Therefore, from this 150th Gandhi Jayanti on 2nd October, we are starting a global appeal for behavioural change called the #ilivesimply movement. In a unique crowd-funding campaign, without involving any monetary exchange, we will be urging people of the world to make their contribution towards healing the planet by making behaviour-change pledges on an internet site/app. The platform will tell you how many dollars’ worth of service for the planet that action will amount to in a year. Unfortunately, the global population understands this currency better than the health of the planet.
For example, a pledge to not use single-use plastic could amount to a contribution worth $1000. Or a pledge to go vegetarian may amount to $2500. Around the New Year 2020, when people around the world make resolutions to lead a better life, these contributions in the currency of pledges may amount to trillions of dollars of impact.
As there is a rising environmental awareness in the world as seen in the increasing number of climate strikes, we believe that there is also an urgent need to encourage people to change their personal behaviours. The main campaign will be launched in December to coincide with the New Year celebrations when people around the world make resolutions.
From 2nd October 2019, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi we start our campaign to crowd-source partners for this global movement.
Here are a few examples of how you can contribute to this global movement:
- Climate scientists and environmental think tanks may help us calculate the value of ecological acts like going vegetarian, planting trees, taking trains instead of flights, bicycles instead of cars, etc. and so that these acts can be evaluated in monetary value.
- Tech organisations, creative individuals and designers can help us create apps, games, websites to develop a community where people can see their collective impact in a fun and interactive way.
- Schools, universities and corporates may make organisational pledges and encourage their staff and students to join the movement.
- Media houses, celebrities and influencers may help us spread the message through social media channels and other platforms around this new year.
- Passionate individuals and leaders may launch city clubs or chapters around the #ilivesimply movement (possibly in collaboration with schools, institutes and corporates) so that there is action on ground also apart from the internet.
For queries or further information, write to us at: [email protected]
Please click on the button below to share your details and join the movement.