Eco-Responsive Building (Passive Solar) Certificate Course
Course Duration : 3 months
Eco Responsive Building Course is designed to encompass natural/earth building techniques which are passive solar in nature. It is a 12 week long comprehensive hands-on course in building sustainable and eco-friendly structures using locally available materials. The course is designed to provide skill development in design and construction techniques for natural buildings in cold mountainous regions. Environment friendly and sustainable sources of energy like solar power and geothermal heat pumps will be a crucial part of the course. Earthquake safety, which has become an issue of great concern in mountain communities along with the effects of climate change and its impact on traditional architecture will also be studied.
We will research techniques, materials, and designs to build passive solar spaces while promoting and working with locally available local materials. Under the guidance of experts and architects, learners will apply their knowledge during Live Labs of construction either at HIAL campus or through their own ventures.
- Application Deadline: 14th February
- Announcement of Results: 27th February
Who is it for?
It is designed for field practitioners such as architects, builders, engineers, contractors and academicians, interested in learning natural building techniques used in the trans-Himalayan region and around the world. It is particularly of interest to professionals who are pursuing their career in natural building methods in mountain regions as entrepreneurs or employees.
The format of the course is such that, working professionals would not have to miss busy weeks of Himalayan construction season. The first six weeks of the course have residential modules where participants will stay near the campus and work closely with HIAL faculty and team. In the second part of the course, participants may either work on their own initiatives/on-going projects or work on HIAL’s ongoing projects.
Prerequisites & Eligibility
Professionals/ enthusiasts belonging to architecture and construction domain
Practicing architects, building engineers, registered contractors and builders. The participants should have knowledge of at least high-school level science and maths. Good English writing and reading skills are appreciated.
Part 1: Residential hands-on learning (1.5 months)
Part 2: Live project with fortnightly lessons (over the span of 4 months)
- Ecological literacy and understanding building as a living system
- Features of eco-responsive buildings
- Earthen construction techniques with exploration in materials, techniques, processes and considerations like earthquake resistance, etc.
- Passive Solar building techniques using scientific tools like sundial helidon, sun path diagrams, etc
- Water conservation and natural waste management
- Principles of construction Management
- Design studio that explores architectural and space design principles and empowers students with creative confidence of designing solutions.
- Understanding the concept of natural building techniques and their response to different geographical areas.
- Designing and building passive solar buildings for cold regions.
- Exposure into ancient and modern techniques through visiting old palaces, forts and residential structures.
Course Fees and Stipend
Course Fee is Rs 12000/- We also have need based scholarship available for our participants.
Students shall be awarded the certificate only on the completion of the course with required marks.
Students shall be awarded the certificate only on the completion of the course with minimum grades.
Feedback is an integral part of the course; feedbacks are welcomed for all classroom and field sessions. After every session, a debriefing is done to reflect closely into the topics covered.
The course curriculum is highly interactive, where students will be enabled to participate in classroom activities in addition to short assignments and a final project. Students will be assessed based on all mentioned activities. 90% attendance is mandatory which contributes to 10% of assessment and grading.
For queries or further information, write to us at: [email protected]